About Rio Grande Watershed Conservation and Education Initiative
Contact: Judy Lopez, Conservation Education Specialist
PO Box 424
Center, CO 81125
Mission: Conservation *** Collaboration *** Education
Vision: To provide dynamic conservation education to the San Luis Valley community and to promote stewardship of our natural resources.
San Luis Valley Conservation Education & Public Outreach
- Educate youth throughout San Luis Valley schools about conservation issues.
- Develop educational materials and curriculum centered on conservation in agriculture .
- Lead ‘in-the-field’ educational trips for youth.
- Make classroom visits and teach about agriculture sciences, conservation and environmental sciences.
- Coordinate the CACD 6thgrade conservation poster and essay contest in the San Luis Valley.
- Coordinate the Junior Natural Resources Camp at Beaver Creek
- Provide “in the field” project learning opportunities for students in grades 6 through 12, so that they can participate in regional and state science and engineering fairs..
- Planning and implementation of the San Luis Valley “Water Fest on the Rio”
- Hold the annual two week Teachers Workshop for teachers statewide.
- Hold Small Acreage Landowner workshops and seminars.
Public Affairs Activities
- Educate the public on conservation issues at community events as well as discuss the services that are available through their local Conservation District. These events include; the Earth Day Festival, the Crane Festival, and AG Safety Days.
- Judge conservation projects at local science fairs.
- Participate on the Environmental and Conservation Education Council, a group in the San Luis Valley that strives to incorporate conservation education in surrounding schools.
- Represent conservation careers at local career fairs.
- Serve as educational advisory positions on boards.
- Work with the Conservation Districts on conservation projects.
- Facilitate meetings of conservation and education groups.
- Provide presentations as requested.
- Assist with implementation of Watershed activities.